Thursday, October 24, 2013

Weekly Pull List 10-23-13



First up we have Wolverine and the X-Men 37. Part 9 of the Battle of the Atom story. X-Men fight each other. X-Men fight their future/past selves. X-Men get attacked by the missiles from a S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier which were launched by Xorn. Not a great issue. Just want to be done with it. Pretty bored with it. Only one issue left and I'm ready for it. There's some really great panels of Iceman fighting future Iceman and other people as well. It's a decent issue mostly for the aspects of time travel it explores, even though it just bypasses the big question of why they can't send the past X-Men back to their time. The story is okay, but it's not very complex and tends to ignore plot points that would make the book interesting. 2 out of 5.


Next, I picked up Velvet #1. A brand new Ed Brubaker book from Image. I saw the cover and it reminded me of Scarlet and since I've had good luck with new image books recently I figured I'd give it a shot. And I'm glad I did. It's a solid little spy tale in Paris 1973 where an ARC-7 agent gets killed. Velvet Templeton has a history with the now dead Jefferson Keller. All signs point to another acquaintance, Frank Lancaster as the killer. Velvet makes her way to one of Lancaster's safe-houses to investigate when she realizes Frank's not the only one being set up. What an incredible start to a book. This spy story is a nice nod to a noir cop story. The book feels great. Velvet explores spy fiction and gives the reader exactly what they want in a greatly complex story. The art is incredibly beautiful. Steve Epting has an incredible photorealism that is purely astonishing. All around a great book, even thought it feels like an answer to Bendis' Scarlet and Rucka's Lazarus. I think all three are great, but this may be the best. 5 out of 5.


Finally I picked up Pretty Deadly 1. I picked this up since it's another Image number 1 and I figured why not. Written by Kelly Sue Deconnick and art by Emma Rios. They work quite well together to create a creepy, mystical, old-west world for their story. This issue introduces a bunch of stuff, but none of it fully enough for me to get into it. It's a decent story, but I think this one is worth waiting for the trade. 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment